What is XDR Extended Detection and Response?
The cyber threat landscape is rapidly evolving and expanding. In response, many organisations are working to evolve their security capabilities to enable efficient and effective detection and remediation of unique, sophisticated, and fast-paced attacks.
The most common approach to a security platform is a “layered” approach, where an organisation deploys multiple solutions – including endpoint detection and response (EDR), network traffic analytics (NTA), and security information and event management (SIEM) – to implement defense in depth across a variety of different platforms (workstations, cloud, IoT, mobile, etc.). While this approach can be effective for detecting and responding to cyber threats, it also has its limitations.
Extended Detection and Response (XDR) takes a different approach. Instead of a purely reactive approach to security, XDR enables an organisation to proactively protect itself against cyber threats by providing unified visibility across multiple attack vectors.
Unified and integrated data visibility
Most organisations are struggling under a deluge of security data. While it is true that you can’t secure what you can’t see, being overwhelmed by too many low-quality security alerts has the same end result. In many cases, security teams are missing ongoing attacks because the information that they need is buried under a massive number of false positive alerts.
Extended detection and response solves this problem by providing unified and integrated data visibility and analytics across an organisation’s assets. Unification enables an organisation’s security team to see data collected by all security solutions from all platforms (including endpoints, mobile, cloud resources, network infrastructure, email, etc.) within a single dashboard. Integration enables analysts to take advantage of insights derived from aggregating event information from multiple different solutions into a single contextualised “incident”.
By simplifying security down to a single platform and dashboard, XDR enables a security team to effectively secure an organisation against cyber attacks. Additionally, XDR leverages automation to simplify analyst workflows, allow for rapid incident response, and decrease analyst workloads by eliminating simple or repetitive tasks.
Our security engineers and XDR experts are here to guide you on your journey tot XDR. Together with you we will create a dedicated team and develop a plan to ensure XDR success. Thanks to our close relationships with leading technology vendors, we are able to design and build the best solution and create a XDR road map for your organisation.
Why you need an XDR solution
XDR is designed to simplify security visibility across an organisation’s entire digital infrastructure.
- Integrated visibility
- XDR integrates security visibility across an organisation’s entire infrastructure (network, endpoints, cloud infrastructure, mobile, etc.). This enables security analysts to gain context about a potential security incident without needing to learn and use different platforms.
- Single pane of glass management
- Security settings can be configured from a single pane of glass across the entire enterprise network. This ensures that consistent security policies can be enforced despite a diverse network infrastructure.
- Rapid time to value
- XDR offers out-of-the-box integrations and pretuned detection mechanisms across different products. This enables an organisation to rapidly extract value from its security investment.
- Improved productivity
- XDR eliminates the need for security analysts to switch between multiple dashboards and manually aggregate security data. This enables analysts to more efficiently and productively detect and respond to security threats.
- Lower total cost of ownership (TCO)
- XDR offers a fully integrated cybersecurity platform. This reduces the costs associated with configuring and integrating multiple point solutions in-house.
- Analyst support
- XDR provides a common management and workflow experience across an organisation’s entire security infrastructure. This reduces training requirements and enables analysts to operate at a higher level than they would be able to otherwise.
Leading partners in XDR
Tailored to your needs
Our strength lies in our flexibility and focus on developing custom solutions for our customers. Discover in which areas we can support your IT team.
MDR Managed Detection & Response
Advance your security operations capabilities while reducing mean time to detect and contain threats.
NDR Network Detection & Response
Network Detection & Response is now considered an indispensable means of securing corporate networks.
Latest news and blog posts
Mist AI Enterprise networking
Back to the office with a strong Wi-Fi connection
With hybrid working, the use of workstations is becoming increasingly flexible. One consequence is that the existing Wi-Fi network is more heavily loaded than before. Is the network ready for this?
Why ITIL can be applied at any level
Many organisations struggle with a proper ITIL implementation. But this best practice offers a range of solutions that can partly be implemented at one's own discretion.
Zero-Trust Palo Alto Networks
Why Zero Trust is essential in a post-pandemic world
The rapid transformation to hybrid work and hybrid networks/clouds has exposed weaknesses in the first ZTNA approaches in this post-pandemic world.
Kumar Ramachandran from Palo Alto